Enchiladas Verdes Suizas
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 2 lbs tomatillos
- 1 dash baking soda
- 3 serrano chilies
- 1 dash sugar
- 1 tablespoon onion, Chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, Chopped
- monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese, Grated
- salt and pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups chicken, Cooked, shredded
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons onions, Chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos.
- Wash tomatillos and chiles well.
- Cook, covered, in a little boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles.
- Place chiles and drained tomatillos in blender container.
- Add onion, garlic and cilantro and blend until pureed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet, add pureed mixture and fry, adding soda and sugar. Salt to taste.
- When mixture is cooked, add White Sauce, cream and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste; keep hot.
- For each serving, soften 3 tortillas in hot oil, then dip in hot sauce. Place some shredded chicken on each tortilla and roll. Place, seam side down, in individual baking dishes.
- Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle cheese over top.
- Place under broiler until cheese melts and is golden brown.
- WHITE SAUCE: Melt butter, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is browned.
- Stir in flour and cook and stir until flour is cooked.
- Add milk and cook until thickened.
- Strain sauce, then add Worcestershire and salt and pepper to taste. I have enjoyed this dish at Sanborns House of Tiles in Mexico.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Mother of 4, grandmother of 3.... <br /> <br />One of my favorite authors is Kipling, he had a way with words... <br />...when the moon gets up and night comes, he is the Cat that walks by himself, and all places are alike to him.... <br />Rudyard Kipling</p>