- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sazon seasoning
- 12 store-bought empanada wrappers (6-inch)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Saute onion in oil until soft. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Stir in the beef. Add cumin, curry, chili powder, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Saute until the beef has browned. Add the corn and the Cheddar to the beef and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt the butter with the sazon powder. Stir well and set aside. Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling into the center of the wrapper. Brush the edges of the dough with beaten egg, then fold the dough over to form a half moon. Use the tines of a fork to pinch the edges and seal, creating a border about 1-inch wide. Transfer the empanadas to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Coat the tops with the sazon butter with a pastry brush. Bake according to dough package instructions, or until puffed and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!