Emeril's Southern-Style Green Beans With Bacon and New Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
1 pot of beans
- 4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 8 small new potatoes, halved if large
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan or medium Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until it has rendered most of its fat and has begun to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green beans and potatoes and enough water to just cover them.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then cover the pan and simmer until the beans are very tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep the beans covered.
- As the beans get close to being done they will become quite fragile, so take care when stirring.
Join The Conversation