Emeril's Mac and Cheese
photo by NewEnglandCook
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain well.
- Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons butter in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour, and stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to let the flour brown.
- Using a whisk, add the milk in a steady stream and cook, whisking constantly, until thick and smooth, 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the salt, pepper, cayenne, and 2 cups of the cheese, and stir well. Add the noodles and stir well. Pour into the prepared dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese with the bread crumbs and Essence. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in New York and have a wonderful husband and adorable 5 year old rambunctious boy. I work from home, which gives me plenty of time to practice new recipes (and of course, plenty of time to eat them, too!) http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/457661/IMG_1092.JPG <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg">