Elswet's Homemade Chili, Southern Style
photo by Seasoned Cook
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 111 ounces chili beans
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, mashed but whole
- 4 large onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 leaves fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup masa harina flour, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper, coarsely cut
- 4 cups water
- In a large stock pot, brown the ground beef seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper. When browned, you can either drain the grease and begin again with 3 tablespoons of oil, or use the grease. Remove beef and set aside for later, or use large skillet for next step.
- Saute garlic, onion, bell pepper, and celery until opaque [not clear, but not solid white, either]. Add beef [or add TO beef if using a skillet]. Stir well. Add chili beans, tomato, and water, remainder of spices and herbs.
- Simmer over medium-low [or just high enough to keep it bubbling lightly] for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- After two hours, add beef and return to a light boil. Using a large measuring cup with handle, dip out 1 cup of the hot juice from the pot. Add in the Masa, stirring constantly to prevent lumping. When mixed into a smooth paste, SLOWLY spoon the mixture into the pot. Stir WELL to ensure no lumps.
- Return to boil and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Let stand an hour before serving. Reheat and serve hot with grated cheese, parsley flakes, and cornbread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Once known as KytchenWytch. Both my Wife and i love to cook, and we love to eat, so our premium membership with this site is a partnership made by the Gods. i am a short order cook by trade, and my Wife is a published movie reviewer. We both administrate our small non profit from home, which allows us to cook more often than other couples, but we still don't have a lot of time to prepare complicated meals. RecipeZaar is the best for anyone who wants a quick recipe, or needs to learn about a complicated piece of kitchen equipment...and anything in between. :) We LOVE it here! my sweet Wife has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. i'm still learning how to cook for Her, so that Her Forever will pace with mine. i change my user name often. sorry, but i bore easily. oh, and just to warn people, i've donated my hair to locks for love, so it's short now ... VERY short. new photos will come soon. About my Icons my darling Wife took Her personal time to WitchCraft these for me. ;) She's the best. She's the greatest. She's my whole heart.