Elote Appetizer from the Elote Cafe
photo by Hannah A.
- Ready In:
- 6 ears corn, husks intact
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cholula brand hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled for garnish
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- pure ground red chili pepper, for garnish
- crispy tortilla chips, for scooping
- Over a medium-high grill, roast the corn until the husks are well charred, about 5 minutes. Turn occasionally so as not to burn the side contacting the direct heat.
- Set the roasted ears aside until cool enough to handle, then shuck them.
- Cut the kernels off the cob.
- When ready to eat, mix the mayo, hot sauce, lime juice, pepper, salt and chicken stock in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the corn kernels and warm through,.
- Pour into a bowl and garnish with the cheese, cilantro and ground chili.
- Serve immediately with crispy tortilla chips.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We have the good fortune to live within 40 minutes of Elote, and Jeff Smedstad has definitely created and maintained the most consistently delicious food in Northern Arizona! It's a real treat to make this yummy appetizer at home -- and you can tweak it to be spicier, more or less cilantro-accented, and even a bit lighter if you want to skimp on the mayo. I'm taking it to a party tomorrow and expect, as always, someone will ask to lick the bowl!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi there! Originally CHICAGOLAND CHEF DU JOUR, I like to think of myself as a fantastic home cook with a flair for the gourmet. I have gotten & shared many recipes since I became a member in 2007. Although I have not been active in a few years, I still return to look for recipes from some of my fave chefs. Thanks to all you have helped me over the years and thanks a bunch to any and all reviews.