"elmer's" Summertime Sweet Onion Salsa
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 4 large plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 2 green onions, including green tops, cut into thin slices
- 3⁄4 cup onion, sweet Walla Walla, diced (I think any sweet onion would work)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, jalapeno, green onion, sweet onion, cilantro and garlic.
- In a measuring cup, stir together the lemon juice, lime juice, sugar, coriander, cumin and salt.
- Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve, and then pour over the tomato mixture.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and set aside for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Quick and so delicious! I made this with all lime juice, otherwise as directed. From our garden we have so many tomatoes, jalapenos, sarannos, & onions that I will be making a large batch for canning this week. I needed a good recipe, and this one passed by all of us. Love the use of cumin and corriander. Thanks for a keeper recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>? Hi! My name is Teresa.? My husband and I like to take RV trips but it seems lately we just us it for vintage motorcross races. I enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, have done some rock climbing but age is creeping up on my poor old bones. Anything to do with the outdoors I enjoy, so why do I live in rainy Washington state? We have 2 wonderful children, both grown. My son lives in LA and my daughter and her husband recently moved back in the area with their little boy...our grandson... who just turned?5 years old. We have a granddaughter who lives close by...she just turned 23 this year. She's a sweetheart.? Life is good when you have a son and a?daughter and they?gift?you with a granddaughter and grandson. :)??</p>