Elegant White Cake
photo by sandraleegarth
- Ready In:
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups superfine sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (I have found that if you lower the oven temperature to 325, it will often prevent the "doming" of the layers.
- Grease and flour 2 8-inch pans OR butter and line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, baking powder, sugar, salt and extracts until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.
- Add the egg whties to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir 1/3 of the flour into the creamed mixture, then half the milk.
- Repeat process, ending with flour.
- Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl down after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 23 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I've been searching for the ultimate White Chocolate Cake for a long time. I wanted one that used only egg whites and that's not easy to find. The white chocolate taste in this one is good, but it's not as light as I would have preferred. The baking time recommended was 23 minutes, mine took 35. That's not bad. Not sure whether I'd bake it again, or continue my search.