Eileen's Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
The vegetables come out so sweet and the meat is tasty and tender. This is the only way I will eat cabbage. I make this every St. Patrick's day. A sure winner. I use a teaball to keep the spices together but you can put them in cheesecloth.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 8 -10 medium carrots, cut into 3 - 4 pieces
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes, whole or 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into 6 wedges (1 lb)
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 8 fennel seeds
- 1 clove
- Trim fat from meat. Place the 5 spices in a teaball or cheesecloth. Fill 6 qt pot with water. Put in meat and spiceball. Add onions and bay leaf. Bring to boiling. Skim fat from surface. Reduce heat to a simmer, with cover ajar, for 1 hour and a half.
- Add carrots to pot. Return to boiling another 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes to pot. Return to boiling for 25 minutes.
- Add cabbage to pot. Cover and cook about 20 minutes more until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Discard bay leaf and spices. Remove meat from pot. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter.