Egyptian Seasoned Countryside Bread (Koras)
photo by Chef lamiaa
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1 kg all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ghee or 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 liter sour milk or 1/2 liter yogurt
- 1 tablespoon anise
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- If you like you can toast the sesame seeds and the anise and fennel first to intensify their taste.
- Put the flour in a big bowl + salt +sugar +all the seeds +vanilla +yeast.
- Mix lightly.
- Put your ghee or butter on heat till it bubbles lightly, let cool a little bit then add to the flour, mix well, then add the cream and the yogurt, knead well till you have a soft manageable dough, a little bit sticky.
- Let it rise covered in a warm dark place for 1/2 hour.
- Then cut it into large egg sized balls.
- Let rise again for 2 hour.
- Press each ball into a disc the size you prefer, and put in your trays, don’t use the rolling pin in this step pressing the balls by hands gives much better results.
- You don’t need to brush the trays with anything.
- Leave to rise one last time 30-60min.
- Then turn on the oven on medium heat, with a knife draw parallel lines on each disc, brush lightly with (egg + milk + vanilla) mix, and put the trays in the preheated moderate oven, it will take 10-15 min, don’t leave it for so long so it won't get dry, once the bottom is red u can use the grill to put some color on the surface.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!