Egyptian Rice With Vermicelli
- Ready In:
- Break the vermicelli into 1-inch pieces (or use an Arab or Indian brand that is already broken up).
- In a wide non-stick skillet, saute onion in oil till translucent, and remove from pan.
- Saute vermicelli pieces in leftover oil till golden (this happens mroe quickly than you expect it to).
- Add onions back to pan and add rice; stir to combine.
- Pour in boiling stock, stir.
- Cook over very low heat for about 20 minutes.
- This time will vary depending on the age and type of rice you use.
- If desired, stir in a pat of butter before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a web producer and copy editor at an online newspaper. Many of my favorite foods are down-home Southern comfort food like my grandmother and mother made, but I also live in an ethnically diverse area and have been able to learn a lot about different styles of cooking. I especially like Asian, Mediterranean and Indian food. I'm working on learning to cook Indian food and I'm discovering that, like most traditional cuisines, it involves a lot of long complicated processes and a lot of intuition and background knowledge on the part of the cook. Hope I can begin to grasp some of that knowledge eventually.