Eggs Baked in Tomatoes With Prosciutto & Basil
adapted from Delicious Magazine, 8/08
- Ready In:
- 6 large tomatoes
- basil leaves, a handful (plus extra whole and finely chopped to serve)
- extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 6 slices prosciutto (or pancetta)
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Remove the tomato tops with a sharp knife. Scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon and discard, them place the tomatoes upside-down on paper towel for about 15 minutes to drain.
- Smash the basil with a pinch of salt with a mortar and pestle until it becomes a paste, then add a little extra virgin olive oil to loosen it. Season with black pepper and smear the oil inside the tomatoes.
- Wrap a slice of prosciutto or pancetta around each tomato and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the tomatoes on a greased baking tray or in an ovenproof fry pan and cook in the oven for 15 minutes until the tomatoes soften slightly and the prosciutto is beginning to crisp around the edges.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and carefully break an egg into each one. Bake for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are cooked but the yolks are still runny.
- Scatter with extra basil and serve immediately with toast soldiers.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION