Eggplant and Tomato Gratin
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
- 2 small eggplants (250 g total)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely sliced in rings (vidalia or spanish)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 large tomatoes, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Cut the ends of the eggplants, then cut in slices of 1/2 inch thickness. In an oven proof dish, mix eggplants, garlic and half oil, half salt and half pepper (I mixed everything in a large bowl). Lay out the eggplant slices in one layer in a baking dish (I used a large baking pan and I made half recipe). Cook under the preheated grill of the oven (6 inches apart from the grill), for about 6 minutes or until golden (flip them one time).
- In a large baking dish (I sprayed it with PAM), put half of the eggplants, cover with onion slices and sprinkle with half of the italian seasoning. Drizzle with half of the remaining oil and sprinkle with half of the remaining salt and pepper. Do another layer the same way with tomato slices then cover with remaining eggplant. Add italian seasoning. Cook in the preheated oven of 400F for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Sprinkle with asiago and mozzarella and put under preheated grill for 1 minute or until the cheese has melted and is golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really excellent! I had 1 small eggplant from the garden, so I halved the recipe. I sliced the eggplant approximately 1/4-inch thick (since I don't like really thick slices) and I ended up with 12 slices in total. I used 1 yellow onion (also from the garden) and sliced that into 6 slices and did the same with a garden tomato. Rather than measure the olive oil, I eyeballed it. I did not use asiago cheese (I thought I has some but was mistaken). The end result was superb! This is a great way to prepare eggplant (even for those who are not a fan, because it gives it such great flavor). Thanks for sharing this winner!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong><span>I'm the host of Bargain Basement tag game in the cooking game forum. You're welcome to play anytime. You'll be surprised to find great recipes that were never reviewed. <br /></span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p><strong><span>I want to say a big thank you to everyone who tries my recipes and post photos. I don't always have the time to say thanks to each of you but be sure it's so appreciated :)</span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p> </p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/zwt6%20banners%20and%20photos/captain.jpg alt=width=150 height=200 /></p> <p><br /><img src=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/emmyduckie/zwt/ZwizzleBadge.jpg alt=width=200 height=300 /><br /> <br /><a title=banner3 href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26630178@N05/3510953178></a><img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3510953178_b35b3086a8.jpg alt=banner3 width=500 height=250 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> By Brooke The Cook in WI <br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3510511#3510511> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /> <br /></a><a title=Photo href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/boomette1/514183676></a><img src=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/514183676_f79b486466_m.jpg alt=good width=240 height=137 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /></p> <p><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/ZTAA-sm.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p> <p><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/Pets-STKR.jpg alt=width=200 height=200 /></p>