Egg with Tomatoes: Chinese home-style
The first dish my Mom taught me. Since I imigrated to North America, I've tasted numerous omelets, scramble eggs, poached eggs, but this egg dish is unique in its own and is still my all time favorite. Enjoy.
- Ready In:
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4 free range eggs
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- green onion, chopped,separate the ",white",and ",green",parts
- salt and pepper
- Beat eggs together; season with salt and pepper, and add the"white" part of the green onion and sesame oil.
- Mix well.
- Add oil to the pan; turn up the heat.
- Add the egg mixture.
- break the egg into pieces.
- Toss and cook until the eggs are almost done.
- less then 2 min
- Take out the egg.
- Add more olive oil to the pan and cook the tomatoes.
- Season the tomatoes and add the rice vinegar and sugar; cook until the you can smell the tomatoes.
- Put the egg mixture back to the pan.
- Add the"green" part of the green onion.
- In a little bowl, mix corn starch with aliitle more than 1 tsp of water
- Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Fabulous. I sauteed an onion first to add in with the tomatoes which added great texture to the dish. Replaced cornstarch with potato starch and added a couple teaspoons of the sauce (link below) to the egg in place of sesame oil. Just delicious. If you can let this sauce sit in the fridge for at least a day so the flavors meld together. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/dipping-sauce-for-scallion-pancakes-recipeReply
If you're looking for a better taste, such as a more authentic one, do not use any rice vinegar, olive oil, pepper, sesame oil, or cornstarch. Green onions MUST be used in the dish. Instead, just beat the eggs and stir fry them for about 4 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Make sure the juice from the tomatoes oozes out so that you have a soupy tomato part of the dish. Then, add the green onions and salt, and cover the pan and let it simmer for 4 minutes before serving it over white rice cooked in a rice cooker. It's a perfect vegetarian dish. Another related dish would be sliced cucumbers stir fried with eggs. Justin3Reply
see 8 more