Egg Waffles or Gai Daan Jai
photo by Ambervim
- Ready In:
5 Egg Waffles
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour (use Cake Flour Substitute if you have none on hand)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- canola oil (for cooking, other veggie oil will work)
- powdered sugar
- fresh fruit
- Whisk together egg yolks, milk, vanilla, butter and sugar until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Bea egg whites to medium peaks.
- Whisk egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until there are no lumps.
- Fold in one-third of the egg whites to the batter and stir until lightened.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites in 2 additions.
- Set a wire rack out.
- Preheat both sides of the pan over medium heat until hot.
- Lightly brush each side with oil an pur batter into the center of one side and swirl it out a bit. Immediately place the other side of the pan on top, flip the pan and cook for 2 minutes or a bit more.
- Flip the pan over and cook until the waffle is golden brown on the other side - about 2+ minutes.
- Open the pan and tip the egg waffle out onto the rack. Let it cool for a couple minutes before serving.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar and enjoy. Or put syrup on it.
- Optionally, lay fresh fruit and/or coconut on one side and roll it up for a great hand held snack.
- Be creative with the additions.
- The cooking time is for 1 waffle.
- Some people break apart the eggs. This is great for young children.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!