Egg and Potato Dum
photo by Yorky1000
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- 500 g scrubbed potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/4 tsp tumeric mixed together
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 15 mm cube gingerroot, grated
- 50 mm long cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 2 cardamom pods, split
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 fresh red chilies, chopped
- 250 g chopped tomatoes and the juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 225 ml warm water
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander, leaf
- Shell the eggs and make four cuts in each egg lengthwise leaving 12 mm gap at each end.
- Cut the potatoes into 30 mm cubes.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron (or non stick) pan with tight fitting lid. Fry the potatoes until golden brown on all sides and remove with a slotted spoon. Keep aside.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir the chili/turmeric mixture into the remaining oil. Return the pan to the heat and stir fry the hard-boiled eggs gently until brown all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Add the onions, ginger, cinamon, cardamom, cloves and green chili and stir fry in the same oil until the onions are lightly browned (about 6 or 7 minutes).
- Add half the tomatoes and stir fry continuously for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, ground coriander, fennel and chili powder and stir fry continuously for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rest of the tomatoes and stir fry continuously for a further 4 to 5 minutes. Add a little warm water if the mixture dries out.
- Add the fried potatoes, salt and warm water and bring to the boil. Fit the lid tightly and simmer until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggs and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring twice gently so as not to break the eggs.
- Stir in the chopped coriander leaf and remove from the heat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!