Eech (Armenian Bulgur Side Dish)
photo by Mark Marcarian
- Ready In:
1/2 cup servings
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 lemons
- 1 heaping tablespoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fine bulgur
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- Chop onion and peppers into a small dice or pulse them in a food processor.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat and add diced vegetables.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and saute 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add can of tomato sauce, tomato paste and the juice of the 2 lemons. Fill the tomato can with water and add that to the pan.
- Bring to a boil and add paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add the bulgur, remove from heat, cover the pan and let sit until liquid is absorbed and bulgur is tender (about 1/2 hour).
- Stir in chopped parsley.
- Can be eaten immediately, within a couple hours, or refrigerate and eat later.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a stay at home mom/ former Dietitian who reads cookbooks and cooks to destress. I have 2 young boys who are extremely active. <br />I collect cookbooks as an addiction and a hobby. I have a wide range from Naked Chef, to bed and breakfast cooking, to Greek, Italian, French, Indian, Japanese and Middle Eastern food. I love trying ethnic recipes and restaurants and then going back to old American standards. <br />I spend most of my day either in the kitchen or outside running around with the boys. My husband and I are in the process of planning an addition and creating our dream kitchen.</p>