Ecuadorean Potato Cakes (Llapingachos)
From Gourmet Sept. 07 - yum!
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped scallion
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons annatto oil, divided (recipe also posted)
- 6 ounces muenster cheese, coarsely grated (2 c)
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Cover with cold water in a medium pot, stir in 1 teaspoons salt and simmer until very tender, about 18 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, then mash in a bowl.
- Cook scallions with 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper in 2 tablespoons annatto oil over med. heat, stirring, until scallions are softened, then stir into potatoes along with cheese. Form mixture into 8 balls and flatten each into a 3-inch patty.
- Heat 1 tablespoons annatto oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over med.-high until hot, then fry cakes in 2 batches, turning over once, until crusty, about 6 minute per batch. add remaining oil for second batch.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These taste great ! However I had several problems making them, the mashed mix was very soft and difficult to work with and it was really hard work to turn them over in the pan without them breaking up. They also stuck to the pan quite a lot and because of that I ended up adding extra oil to the pan... resulting in them being a little over greasy once they were cooked and the flavour of the oil became a little too dominant. Flavour-wise I would make these again, but maybe the type of potato makes a difference? Please see my Rating Sysytem: 3 stars because the taste was good, and becuase these were so hard to work with, for me at least. Thanks!1Reply
see 1 more