Easy Upside Down Apple Tarte Tatin
- Ready In:
- 6 -8 large cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 frozen pie shell, slightly thawed or
- 1⁄2 packaged puff pastry, thawed
- ice cream, whipped cream or cheese (optional)
- Peel, core& quarter apples; toss with lemon juice& 2 tbsp of the sugar.
- Let stand& toss again so that sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a 10 inch ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar evenly over butter.
- Stir just until sugar is dissolved& remove from heat.
- Place as many apple wedges as you can into the pan.
- They will actually stand on end but thats OK since they will shrink as the tarte cooks.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and cook the apples for 20- 25 minutes or until syrup has formed a thickened caramel.
- Cool slightly.
- Gently roll out pie shell (or puff pastry) to fit slightly larger than the pan.
- Place over the pan, trim edges& bake in preheated 400F oven for 20- 25 minutes or until pastry is crisp.
- Turn out onto a large platter& serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In the words of Tracy Byrd, "I'm from the country & I like it that way"!! On May 1, 2008 my husband and I started a new adventure. We'll be living in a 37 foot RV while our new home is under construction. Its out in the country on a dead end dirt road with lots of trees. For the next 4 months or so, most meals will be cooked on the BBQ and life will be full of challenges! We love spending quality time with our friends & family - especially the grandkids!! The photo is 4 generations - my 84 year old mother, myself, my daughter & my youngest granddaughter - taken at the end of 2006. I've participated in many contests & events here on Zaar but this is the first banner that I've posted. My thanks to Dreamgoddess for hosting the contest & SusieD for the banner design! <img src="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/Dreamgoddess555/Narrow1-1.jpg">