Easy Tomato Soup With Israeli Couscous - Crock-Pot
Israeli or pearl couscous makes this the best tomato soup you've had - it soaks up the soup and is delicious, without any butter or cream! Israeli couscous is found in most grocery stores, but orzo may be substituted. Adapted from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 10mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pinch sugar (or a natural sweetener)
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked israeli couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves (to garnish)
- Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook until softened, about five minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a 4-quart slow cooker, add the stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5-8 hours. Adjust the seasonings and remove the bay leaves.
- To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup of cooked couscous into the bottom of each bowl, ladle the hot soup on top and serve sprinkled with the basil.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I found Israeli couscous and wasn't sure what to do with it. I found this recipe and although it wasn't exactly what I was looking for I thought I'd try it. Boy, am I happy I did. This made a very yummy soup and the couscous was a great addition. I doubled the recipe easily and left out the onions so skipped the bit with cooking them in a skillet...I just added a bit of minced garlic to the soup in the crockpot...this really makes a nice tasting tomato soup...even without the couscous I'll be making this again...my DH added a bit of sour cream to his...I may try to add some cream or milk at the end to make it a creamy tomato soup next time...thanks for the easy and yummy recipe...I'll be making it often...this went well with a salad of greens, cucumber, green bell pepper, tomatoes and a dressing of oil, lemon juice and anchovies. The leftover soup without the couscous went very well with my Recipe #355935 ;)Reply