Easy Sponge Cake
A very easy to prepare sponge cake recipe that I've been baking for 20+ years. A favourite with everyone.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3⁄4 cup cornflour
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Grease and flour two round 20 cm (8") cake tins using 1 teaspoon castor sugar and 1 teaspoon flour mixed together.
- Sift dry ingredients together 3 times.
- Separate egg whites from yolks carefully making sure no yolk is mixed into the white.
- Beat whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and yolks one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients until just barely mixed through.
- Pour evenly into the 2 tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn out to cool on racks immediately.
- When cool, sandwich with jam and whipped cream. Ice and decorate top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
WOW, this is THE sponge cake recipe I have been looking for, and I've tried lots. Such an easy recipe too. I filled it with whipped cream and strawberry jam (as suggested, I use fresh chopped strawberries as well when they're in season), and simply dusted with icing sugar. It was better (more moist) the following day and even better the day after! So in the future I will certainly make the cakes a day or two before decorating. Thank you for sharing.Reply
This sponge is the best one that I have ever made. Geat recipe and suitable for a gluten-free diet too (provided the cornflour/cornstarch and custard powder are both gluten-free).I have to say that I have always been hopeless when it comes to baking a sponge.....I'm really glad that I tried this one :) Thanks for a great sponge recipe busyozmum.Reply