Easy Spanakopita Bites
photo by Zurie
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cream cheese (I used low-fat, 230 g tub)
- 7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (250 g, drained)
- 7 ounces baby spinach leaves (250 g English spinach, not chard)
- 3 eggs, largest size
- 1⁄4 cup selfraising flour (about 62 ml)
- 1 cup spring onion, finely chopped, white and green parts (about 1 bunch)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (actually, a teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (ditto)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarse
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or less, to taste)
- Put a pot of water on to boil, and when boiling, chuck in the spinach. Boil for about 3 - 4 minutes, until wilted and soft. Drain well in a colander, and cut up roughtly with a knife and fork.
- Grease a muffin tin with oil or butter (I use a silicone muffin pan which is really great). Heat oven to 325 deg F/160 degC or 150 deg C for fan/convection ovens.
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl, and mix roughly with a wooden spoon. (I did not find that extra salt was necessary, but you may want to add a little).
- Then mix well together with an electric beater.
- Fill 12 muffin holes -- you can fill almost to the top, and they won't rise high and cause a mess.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until firm and starting to colour just a little. Cool in the tin, then remove. Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
- (Can easily be a nice side dish if served warm).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a widow, retired, and I love cooking. I live on the coast in South Africa and I love seafood. You're welcome to my recipes (all kinds, definitely not just seafood!) Just remember that no recipe is ever cast in stone -- adjust to your taste! The photo was taken at a rustic seaside restaurant on our West Coast, approx 1 year ago (2016).