Easy Seafood Gumbo
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is one of the least complicated gumbo recipes I've tried, yet it comes from Cajun Cuisine cookbook, so it's still all about Cajun! I skip the oysters for personal preference!
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 6 quarts water
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 pint oyster, with liquid (I omit)
- salt, black and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Make a dark roux with the butter and flour, add water, bring to boil and cook until roux is dissolved.
- Reduce heat, add veggies; chop enough shrimp to make one cup, add to gumbo.
- Simmer on low for 3 hours. (or less!).
- Add remaining shrimp, crab, (oysters), salt, peppers and simmer for 10 minutes or until warm.
- Serve over cooked rice. (May add file powder before serving.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION