Easy Orange and Poppyseed Cake
This is a find that I am hoping to make in the next few days.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 large orange, roughly chopped
- 125 g butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond meal
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 3 eggs
Sticky Orange Syrup Ingredients
- 1 orange
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- icing sugar, for dusting
- pure cream, for serving
- Process the orange in a food processor until pureed. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a baking paper lined 20cm cake pan and bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. (The cake will not rise much).
- Stand the cake for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- For sticky oranges: Peel the rind from orange into long straight segments & finely julienne rind.
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, add orange rind and bring to the boil, simmering for 10 minutes until syrupy and orange rind is translucent.
- Drizzle warm syrup over cake and decorate with sticky orange rind, serve thin slices dolloped with pure cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Great cake and so easy to make. Couldn't get any simpler than bumping everything into the food processor and then pouring into a cake pan. I didn't use the icing sugar for dusting. Used the rind of two oranges cooked with the syrup topping. I just love these kind of cakes made on almond meal and this cake is a great cake for anyone cooking for someone who needs gluten-free as no special gf ingredients are called for. I served my cake served with thick rich Greek yogurt. Delicious. Photo also to be posted. This cake easily serves 12. Made for Make my Recipe Tag Game in the Aus/NZ Forum.