Easy Mexican Tvp Skillet Dinner
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional, I don't usually add this)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, Chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, Chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, Chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, Chopped
- 1 -3 garlic clove, minced (l like loads of garlic)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (I prefer stewed)
- 2 cups water (beef or chicken or vegetable) or 2 cups broth (beef or chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup frozen peas or 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 -5 dashes hot sauce (optional) or 1 tablespoon jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (corriander)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cheese, Grated (optional)
- Combine the first 10 ingredients (dry ingredients), (This can be done ahead of time for use at a later date and store in an air-tight jar or plastic bag.).
- To prepare, sauté onion, mushrooms, garlic, and red and green peppers in olive oil for 5 minutes in a large skillet or saucepan. Add tomatoes with juice and broth or water, crushing the tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in Macaroni and TVP dry mix to skillet.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Mix in frozen peas or corn, hot sauce, spinach and cilantro and cook for another 5 minutes, or until macaroni is tender.
- Mix in the Salsa and sprinkle with Cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!