Easy Italian-Style Hummus
- Ready In:
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- cayenne powder, as needed
- paprika, as needed
- ground black pepper, as needed
- salt, as needed
- prepared pesto sauce, as desired
- toasted pine nuts, as desired
- roasted red pepper, as desired
- sliced olive, as desired
- Drain 3/4 of the liquid in the cans of beans. Put the beans, cheese, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor. Puree.
- Add cayenne powder, paprika and ground black pepper as desired. Check for salt. Puree again. I usually add at least 1/4 teaspoon cayenne so that it has some kick to it.
- Remove and let the flavors marry for at least 6-8 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Take the dip out of the fridge around 2 hours before serving. I usually spoon it into a pie plate or onto a large plate. Smooth the top of the hummus with the back of a spoon or use a knife.
- About 30 minutes before serving, garnish the hummus. First I spread prepared pesto sauce on top. You can spread it all over, in an outer circle pattern, spread it on half the hummus, or however you wish.
- Sprinkle at least 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts on top, or place in the center, or in whatever design you desire.
- Sliver around 1/4 of a roasted red bell pepper and arrange in a design of your own choosing.
- Arrange sliced olives around the edge of the plate.
- All of these garnishes are optional, but the pesto sauce and the toasted pine nuts taste especially good with this.
- Good served with pita chips or as a sandwich spread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I like to eat a variety of food so have lots of different kinds of recipes that I have added and reviewed. Probably the favorite foods that I have reviewed are the ones with Nutella in the ingredients.