Easy Ground Beef Gyros
photo by Wildflour
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 small pita pocket bread, cut in half, warmed (4-inch diameter)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup cucumber, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In small bowl, combine Yogurt Sauce ingredients, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In medium bowl, combine ground beef and seasoning ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Divide beef mixture into 16 equal portions and shape into patties 2 inches in diameter.
- Place patties on rack in broiler pan.
- Bake in oven 10 minutes or until no longer pink OR GRILL over medium heat.
- To serve, place equal amounts of beef and tomato in each pita half; top with yogurt sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were fantastic! We really enjoyed them! My DH was skeptical and then quite surprised at how delicious they were. He said we're not going to the local Greek restaurant if he can get gryros like this at home!I used a different ztatzkiki sauce, and also sliced the hamburger patties into strips when they had cooled a little bit. Made for ZWT4.
I have been making gyros for years using a lamb/beef mixture, seasoned with rosemary and marjoram and a completely different tzatziki sauce. I thought I would try this recipe because it is a lot faster, but it did not taste anything like gyros. I have never seen gyros in a patty form, it is usually a loaf with thinly sliced meat. The tzatziki sauce did not taste nice and cool like mine does. Sorry, but this one is a pass for me.