Easy Greek-Style Spinach and Feta Turnovers
- Ready In:
- Place the two packages thawed spinach in a microwave-safe bowl with about 1/2 cup water in the bottom of the bowl, and microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes; cool to almost room temperature, then squeeze all of the moisture out of the spinch with your hands (to speed the cooling process up just run the spinach under cold water).
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until blended, then add in squeezed spinach, feta cheese, garlic and black pepper; mix well to combine.
- Unfold the prepared pizza dough onto prepared baking sheet and gently stretch to a 11-inch square.
- Cut into 4 equal squares, repeat with the remaining tube of pizza dough.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the filling into the center of each square.
- Fold one corner of each square over the filling to the opposite corner (forming a triangle).
- Press dough edges together tightly with a fork to seal.
- With a shap knife cut 2 or 3 small slits in the top of each turnover to allow steam to escape.
- Beat the small egg in a cup then brush over the tops of the turnover.
- Bake until the filling is cooked through and the tops of the turnovers are golden brown (about 15 minutes).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
One glance at all the yummy ingredients and I knew I'd just LOVE these. I made a few minor changes. I added 1 onion, minced - and I sautéed the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes before step 4 - 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and a good handful of baby spinach leaves that needed to be used. So then I thought it best to add a bit more feta! I followed Kittencal's suggestion of making these with puff pastry. Not surprisingly, having been a bit approximate with my ingredients, I ended up with ten delightful turnovers! I'll be making these again. Thank you, Kitten, for another wonderfully flavoursome recipe!