Easy French Toast Casserole (Make Ahead)
photo by Oat57
- Ready In:
- The night before: Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Break up half the bread by tearing or cutting into 1 inch or so cubes.
- Scatter cubed cream cheese over the top.
- Top with the remaining bread, also broken or cut into cubes.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon and the sugar.
- Pour maple syrup over the top (the real stuff always tastes better!).
- Pour the beaten eggs over the top next.
- Cover with foil and place in the fridge overnight.
- The next day: Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bake uncovered 45-60 minutes, depending on your oven and how mushy you like your french toast.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My oven cooks hot - so the top was crunchy and hard, but the bottom was great. I used more cinnamon and sugar - probably close to triple the called for amounts. I would put the sugar and cinnamon in the "middle" with the cream cheese. I also think I should have "packed" down the bread more. Mine didn't really look like the picture with the recipe. Good flavor though - not too sweet.
This was easy to make and very good. I actually liked it cold later in the day more than when it was right out of the oven! I followed the recipe exactly and the only change I would make would be to either omit the cream cheese or cut it into thin slices rather than cubes. It would have been better had it been more spread out in the dish. However, I definitely liked the recipe and I will surely make it again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in sunny So. Cal with my hubbie and two daughters. We live close to the beach and spend as much time there as possible- especially my husband who surfs as much as possible! We love to go camping, travel to Hawaii and hang out around the house with friends and neighbors (when I'm not shuttling kids here and there!) I enjoy cooking and have a passion for cookbooks, but since I found this website and allrecipes.com I can't find an excuse to buy any more!