Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup
photo by austenhealy66
- Ready In:
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese or 1/2 lb low-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- In a small skillet, heat 1/2 T olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add 1/2 c sliced mushrooms. Saute until limp and browned, 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a soup pot, heat remaining 1 T olive oil and butter until butter melts and foaming subsides. Add onions and saute 1-2 minutes until beginning to soften. Add garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Cook until mushrooms collapse and exude liquid, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and sherry. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Add cream cheese and half-and-half. Stir until cheese is melted. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Simmer an additional 10 minutes. Serve with a few pieces of sauteed sliced mushrooms on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!