Easy Chicken Curry
A spicy and tasty South Indian Curry
- Ready In:
- 2 onions, big chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (Curry, change depending on ur taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 inch cubic piece gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 kg chicken
- salt, to taste
- cilantro (for garnish)
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup yogurt (curds)
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder and turmeric to the chicken pieces.
- Mix well and let it marinate for atleast 1/2 hour.
- Heat a heat and add oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the ginger and onion.
- Fry in medium heat until the onions are brown and soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and continue frying until oil begins to leave.
- Add the remaining salt and chilli powder and continue to fry stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add the well marinated chicken pieces and mix well so that all the pieces are coated with the onion, tomato gravy.
- Close the vessel with lid and let the chicken cook on low-medium for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add a little water and the yogurt and mix well. Let it cook for a few more minutes until the gravy becomes a bit thick. ( the yogurt added makes a very rich gravy).
- Switch off the stove. Sprinkle with the chopped cliantro leaves.
- Serve hot with white rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Tonight was the third time I made this in the last two weeks, so it's high time to give you some kudos! I'm new to curries and wanted to start out with something that looked good, wasn't going to be a big challenge and didn't call for anything I'd have to make substitutions for. This looked like a great candidate! The first time I made it I went strictly by the recipe and it was good. The second time I opted for curry spice (garam masala) instead of chili powder per your suggestion, and found my preference for the masala. Tonight I got a little more playful and added a minced green chile with some of the seeds (I like heat) to the tomato step, and a teaspoon of orange zest in the last few minutes of heating. Yummy. Thank you for such a great recipe!Reply