Easy Caramel Popcorn
photo by Calee
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Set oven to 250 degrees F.
- Put the popped corn in a large bowl.
- Melt the margarine (or butter) stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Then boil for 5 minutes WITHOUT stirring (this is important DO NOT stir for 5 minutes!).
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla.
- Add in the nuts and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture over popped corn in bowl; mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Transfer to a large greased roasting pan, and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven then cool.
- Break into pieces.
- Store in a tightly covered tin box.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
pretty good, a little buttery tasting, so i might try molasses next time... it should be known that the for step 4, the mixture will rise, so be sure to have it in a big pot to begin with :) i dont like my popcorn to be fully coated, so i used about 1 1/2 cups of kernels good stuff kittencal! Also, pop the corn into a bowl then transfer it to another, all the unpopped kernels are at the bottom!
I've been making these since 1985 when I got the recipe from a cookbook,"the Texas Experience." I began adding 1/2 cup molasses and 1 whole tsp.baking soda.This makes them more like the original cracker jacks. I would give these out as Christmas gifts, there was an elderly man at church that would ask me to make it for him again whenever he ran out. Thank you Kittencal for posting as I will now make them for my friends here.