Easy Buche De Noel
photo by suzanne.luft
- Ready In:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar, divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup superfine sugar (not powdered)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped candied cherry
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of a 10" x 15" x 1" jelly roll pan with waxed paper. Butter the waxed paper.
- Grind walnuts in food processor. Put into a bowl. Add flour and cocoa, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks (no need to wash beaters), remaining sugar and vanilla until thick.
- Pour yolk mixture over whites, fold gently together.
- Gradually fold in walnut mixture. Scrape into prepared pan. Gently spread to fill pan. Bake 20 minutes, or until top springs back when pressed gently.
- Sprinkle a tea towel thickly with powdered sugar. Invert cake onto the towel, peel off the waxed paper. If edges of cake are crusty, trim them off, so it will roll easily. From a long side, roll up cake loosely in towel. (You want the cake to be long when it's rolled). Allow it to cool completely. Unroll, spread with filling. Roll it up again, transfer to serving platter and pour glaze over roll.
- To prepare filling:.
- Combine flour and milk in a small saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thick. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl frequently. Add the flour and milk mixture. Beat until fluffy. Stir in candied cherries.
- To prepare glaze:.
- Stir together cocoa, melted butter and boiling water until cocoa dissolves. Stir in corn syrup and powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!