Easy Broccoli And/Or Cauliflower Bake
This is a casserole type side dish but no "cream of" soups in the ingredients. Goes well with all sorts of things. You can use 6 cups broccoli or cauliflower or a blend of each.
- Ready In:
- 2 slices day-old bread, coarsely crumbled or 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 6 cups broccoli florets (or cauliflowerets)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large chopped tomato
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, 1 tbs oil, and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat remaining tbs of oil in large skillet and cook broccoli/cauliflower 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Blend soup mix with water and pour into skillet with broccoli.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until broccoli is almost tender. Add tomato and simmer 2 more minutes.
- Spoon into 1.5 qt casserole dish, top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Place under broiler 1-2 minutes until top is golden and cheese is melted.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
DH loved this more than I did and since personal preference is everything I erred towards the higher of our two ratings and gave this 4 stars. The garlic is a MUST because most of the real flavour comes from the garlic and the cheese. I used brown bread and not all of my chunks were really small, if I made this again I would endevour to make them smaller. I used home made chicken broth followed the recipe for the rest. Please see my rating system: a very easy to make dish that gives a new way to present either broccoli or cauliflower.. in our house we were a little devided over the rating but try for yourself because personal taste IS everything with some recipes. I am pleased to have tried it. Thanks !Reply