Easy Beef Stew Baked in a Cast Iron Dutch Oven
photo by Secret Agent
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef cubes, lean
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (or six chunks)
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chunked
- 1⁄2 large onion, peeled and quartered (or 1 - 1 1/2 cup pearl onions)
- 1 cup celery, chunked
- 1 cup rutabaga, peeled sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon parsley, flat leaf, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives, snipped
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- Put all ingredients into the dutch oven and stir to mix.
- Cover and bake at 300* for 4 hours or until you are ready to eat.
- You can thicken the gravy with 1/4 cup of flour mixed into 1/2 cup of water - stir and cook until on top of the stove until it is thick enough for you. We like it just the way it comes out of the oven.
- Serve with hot buttered biscuits, Recipe #348286 .
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have made this several times and it was awesome every time. If I have time to brown the meat and heat everything while throwing in the ingredients, I do. Add enough (stock) water to the level of veggies and meat. It is usually done in 3 hours. (I think my oven is a bit hot) Thank you for a fool proof and easy dinner!!
This is the first time I enjoyed eating stew. stew just never taste as good as it looks. This stew had a very good flavor and I had a lot of liquid. I just used my corning roast pan and fitted foil over very tight. I did not use the rutabage (personal thing) Thank you secret agent, now I will make stew again. TIP..Did everyone notice 15 oz tomato sauce ? that would be 2 small cans.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello Zaars and Zaarinas! Thank all of you who tried my 'memory' recipes and left such nice reviews and for taking such lovely pictures. I do appreciate your comments. My pet peeves about cooking are recipe reviews where the reviewer says, "I made the recipe exactly as written EXCEPT yada yada yada" and I don't like suggestive names or titles such as, "Better Than Sex". I don't know why anyone would eat anything that is 'sinful' or 'decadent' since decadent is described as being decaying. Also, PAP-RI-KA only has 3 syllables. VINAIGRETTE is pronounced vin-a-grette, not vinager-ette. It's mas-car-pone not mars-ca-pone. And I don't like cutesy adult baby talk,,, or metro chic names like delish, nutrish, yummo, sammy, BAM! Oh well, I make as many, or more, faux pas as the next guy especially in ASL! Things that crack me up are: DH Fred from youtube.com Nick, my nephew Fish and Poi song as performed by PoiBoi My possum recipe per the song on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVvL4-srt6U http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbyM8k7e2Q wow this is good! my Doggie Little Yellow Petey Bird on youtube My BFF's. all of them and there are so many! and my little Sister Mary Beth. She has MS and Lupus and a great attitude. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg">