Easy BEEF BOURGUIGNON
photo by Casey.Company
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 30mins
- 6 slices bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 lbs beef rump or 3 lbs chuck, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 medium onion, cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour (or for GF, 1 ¼ tbsp corn starch)
- 14 ounces low sodium beef broth (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 14 ounces white pearl onions, peeled (I use frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- cook bacon in fry-pan, remove and drain most of the grease out of the pan. While bacon is cooking, prep your onion and carrots and set aside.
- 2. add beef cubes to same pan used for bacon and brown well. Placed browned beef cubes in crock-pot that has been coated with cooking spray.
- 3. add chopped cooked bacon, thyme, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, and pearl onions to crock-pot on top of beef (no need to stir). Brown carrot, and cubed onion in same pan as meat and season with 1 teaspoons salt and pepper and add to crock-pot.
- 4. cook mushrooms and 1 tsp salt in same pan (use cooking spray if needed). Stir in flour (or corn starch). Add broth, mix well until you get a thick mushroom gravy and add as top layer in crock-pot. Cover and cook on low 7 hours.
- 5. add wine about an hour before serving (at 6 hours of cooking in crock-pot) and stir. Continue cooking. Serve alone with crusty bread or with noodles.
- tip for thicker gravy: in a small pot, mix 1 tbsp corn starch with 2 tbsp water (1 tbsp butter optional) add to crock pot, stir well and cover on high for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
CASEY & COMPANY is a collection of my various loves turned into blog posts - from recipes & quick tips, to must haves & amazing deals. Whatever the topic, it's all about the experience...I make it simple, I make it fun, I make it memorable! Follow me here & http://www.casey.company/