Easter Ham Steaks with Whiskey Sauce
Nice way to do ham steaks or if you are cooking a whole ham use the whiskey sauce with raisins to pour over the sliced ham, either way MMMMMMMMmm
- Ready In:
- 4 ham steaks (about 6 oz each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 ounces whiskey
- salt and pepper
- If there is any fat around the edges of the steaks cut into the edge or remove the fat.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter& brush both sides of the ham with it.
- Grill both sides of the ham steaks in a skillet for about 8 minutes each side (the time depends on the thickness of the steak).
- Meanwhile prepare the whiskey sauce in a saucepan.
- Add the onions to the saucepan with a 1 tbs butter and saute until translucent, use medium heat.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and whisk in the flour, graduallyy adding the water.
- Add brown sugar return to heat and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat& simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add whiskey just before using it, season to taste with salt& pepper.
- Pour over the hot ham steaks and serve.
- You can add raisins to this suce if youwish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Bergy the whiskey sauce on this is heavenly!! I made it just as you said, I intended adding raisins,but discovered I was out of them. Had some dried apricots, so I chopped them to raisin size and added them, turned out wonderfull!! I don't have a skillet large enough to cook the ham steaks all at once, so I veggy sprayed my broiler and roasted the steaks for about 15 minutes @ 400 degrees.(left the butter off, figured there is enough butter in the sauce.)Put them on the platter and poured the sauce over, The best ham steaks we've ever had!! Can't wait for the leftovers tomorrow night. Thank-you Bergy!! posted Apr 1, 2002,UPDATE: can't figure how I'm the only one to enjoy this recipe, it is fantastic!! Had a half black forrest ham in the freezer, cut into steaks, we enjoyed this soo much!! I used dried cranberries in the sauce, it was delicious!! thanks again Bergy, great recipe. Dec 5, 2004, 3 members found this helpful Here I am again! we love the sauce so much in this recipe, I tried something different with them for guests comming for appies, I made toast cups, chopped the ham, made the sauce with cream instead of water, added dried cranberries, put the ham in the bottom of the toast cups and poured the sauce in to fill the cups, brought them to a bubble in the oven and served them warm, Ohhhh boy!!! what a wonderful taste, they went over big, we all enjoyed them very much, the flavour is out of this world, thanks again Bergy!! they make a great appy!!!Reply
see 6 more