Drunken Peruano Beans With Cilantro and Bacon
photo by AmyZoe
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 8 ounces dried peruano beans
- 2 ounces salt pork, in largish chunks
- 4 slices bacon, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 serranos (stemmed, seeded, and chopped) or 1 jalapeno pepper (stemmed, seeded, and chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (or more)
- Rinse the beans thoroughly and bring to a boil along with the salt pork in generously salted water.
- Simmer until done.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the water and remove salt pork.
- In the meantime, saute the bacon until done but not crispy.
- Drain and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings and saute the onion and chilies until soft.
- Add the garlic and saute until the raw garlic smell is gone.
- Add the beans to the onion mixture with the reserved bacon.
- Add some of the reserved bean cooking liquid to get the desired texture (just loose but not soupy).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the tequila and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, stir and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes, and this is a wonderful site to find new additions. I rarely make the same thing twice because it's so much fun to try something different. My life long dream is to travel the world and eat my way around it.