Doug's Famous Broccoli Salad
photo by Sarah_Jayne
- Ready In:
1 big bowl
- 2 bunches broccoli, top and stems
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup dry roasted peanuts or 3/4 cup salted peanuts
- Wash and cut broccoli into small pieces. If heavy stems are used, peel stem and cut inner part into small pieces.
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar, and mix well, then add to broccoli.
- Mix in bacon.
- Add peanuts last.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this recipe yesterday and it was exactly what I was looking for! I am a huge fan of a broccoli salad at a local salad bar-style restaurant and this salad tastes exactly like my favorite broccoli salad from that restaurant. It has a lot of different flavors and textures. No particular ingredient overpowers the rest of the salad. Absolutely delicious (and since it is served cold, it is great for summer!).
I am not sure who Doug is but his but he makes one really tasty broccoli salad. I liked the sweet and salty combinations in this and the various textures that come from the bacon , raisins and nuts. I used fat free mayo though I don't think it really made any health difference with the other ingredients. Next time, I am going to try using splenda instead of the sugar. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a science teacher who likes experimenting with a variety of recipes and ingredients. I'm a vegetarian (since 11/2003) and my sister is vegan, so many of my recipes reflect this.</p>