Double Rum Cake
From the book, Paula Deen and Friends.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄2 cup rum (light or dark)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup rum (light or dark)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Liberally spray a non-stick 2 quart Bundt pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer at low speed, blend the cake mix, pudding mix, rum, oil and 1/2 c water.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Evenly distribute the pecans in the bottom of prepared bundt pan.
- Pour the batter on top of the pecans.
- Bake 50-55 minutes until a knife inserted an inch from the center comes out clean.
- Do not remove the cake from pan.
Make the rum syrup:
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, margarine, rum and 1/4 c water to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- With a fork, make holes in the top of the cake.
- Pour the syrup over the cake and let sit for 30 minutes while the syrup is absorbed.
- Invert the pan onto a serving plate.
- Allow it to sit for several minutes.
- The cake will loosen from the pan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was an excellent recipe. The Rum Syrup was almost too sweet. so, I think I'll try it with only half the sugar next time. Also, although it was moist, I think undercooking it by about 5 or 10 minutes would make it ooey gooey moist. I love pecans. So, I double the portion of chopped pecans, it was awesome!!!Reply