Disneyland's Blue Bayou Monte Cristo Sandwich II (Vegetarian)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Same as recipe #140973 but a vegetarian version, NOT a low fat, low carb, low cholesterol, low sodium or low calorie version but vegetarian nevertheless.
- Ready In:
CURRANT JELLY SAUCE
- 12 ounces red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) jar red currant jelly
- 1 (15 ounce) can peaches (or your choice of canned fruit. I like peaches)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 small egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 roasted vegetarian turkey pieces or 4 cooked vegetarian chicken pieces, cut in half to 1/4-inch thickness
- 4 slices tillamook swiss cheese (1 ounce each sandwich)
- 8 slices tempeh bacon, cooked (or your favorite veggie bacon, such as Morningstar Farms, etc.)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- fruit, compote
- currant jelly, sauce
- NOTE: I used Morningstar Farms "chik patties", but Tofurkey deli mock turkey slices would work, too as would mock ham deli slices for the bacon.
- CURRANT JELLY SAUCE: Combine jelly, water and half and half in blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 3/4 cup.
- FRUIT COMPOTE: Combine your favorite fresh and canned fruits and chill well. Yield is about 1/2 cup per person.
- BATTER: Place water, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill.
- SANDWICHES: Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between veggie bacon and mock chicken cutlet. Cut into fourths and put a toothpick through each quarter.
- Heat about 6 inches of oil to 340 degrees in a fryer. Dip sandwiches in batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden brown, turning as needed. An alternate way of frying it to put approximately 1/4-inch oil in a large pan and fry the sandwiches on both sides until crispy and brown.
- Remove from oil and take out toothpicks. Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil. Sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar. Serve with fruit compote and currant jelly sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION