Disco's Hot and Tangy New York Strip Steaks
- Ready In:
- 1 (12 ounce) can cola
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup garlic teriyaki sauce
- 1 habanero pepper, finely chopped with seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 (8 ounce) New York strip steaks, about 8 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl mix the marinade ingredients. Place the steaks in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press out the air, seal the bag, and turn several times to coat the meat. Place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Remove the steaks from the bag and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for about 10 seconds. Set aside about half of the marinade for basting the steaks. For the remaining marinade in the saucepan, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until it has reduced to the consistency of a dipping sauce, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Lightly coat the steaks with oil.
- With the lid closed, grill the steaks over direct high heat (500ºF to 550ºF) until cooked to desired doneness, 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, turning once and basting with a little of the boiled marinade. (If flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect high heat.) Remove from the grill and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with the dipping sauce on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My husband found this recipe in the Military Officer magazine and wanted me to make it. I made it exactly as directed and we love it. I can't understand the poor review someone wrote. I guess people have different tastes. Definitely tangy and slightly hot. Oh, I guess I changed one thing. I didn't use the seeds. We have since made it 3 times. The smell of the marinade is intoxicating.