Dirty Rice With Shrimp
photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups canned low sodium chicken broth (can use homemade stock)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and halved
- 2 scallions, including green tops chopped
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil at medium. Add pork and cook until no longer pink (2 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium low and add remaining oil. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies start to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in cayenne, paprika, oregano, bay leaf, salt, black pepper and rice. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat back up to medium and stir in shrimp. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand covered until rice and shrimp are done (about 5 minutes).
- Remove bay leaf and stir in scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Fantastic! Didn't have any shrimp on hand so I just used beef sausage, left the celery out, but added broccoli. The flavor was phenomenal. Just enough of a 'kick' to make it really exciting, but not so spicy that we couldn't feed it to the kids. AMAZING recipe. I'll be making this again and again. Ty for posting.
My husband really liked this but I felt like something was missing. Also, my rice was not fully cooked after the 15 minutes. By the time the dish was done, it was still a little bit crunchy. Will increase cook time to 20 minutes on rice. Also, I left out the green pepper because we don't like cooked green pepper.