Dirty Rice With Sausage and Shrimp
I make this as a one-dish meal on the stovetop. I normally don't add salt, because the sausages are salty enough without it. Yes, the onion and bell pepper are listed twice, because they are cut differently and added at different times.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons celery, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chicken livers, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a deep, heavy skillet with a close-fitting cover.
- Add diced onion, celery, diced bell pepper, and garlic, and saute until well-browned, stirring often.
- Add sausage and chicken livers. Cook, stirring often, until sausage is well-browned.
- Add reserved liquid from mushrooms and scrape bottom of pan.
- Add thyme, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Stir in mushrooms, chopped onion, and chopped bell pepper. Cook until onions are slightly softened.
- Stir in rice. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add stock, stir, and add shrimp.
- Reduce heat to very low. Cover tightly and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Awesome recipe! I made this for my mom but made a low-carb version for her diet! I used 6 medium Italian sausages, 1 pound wild shrimp, red peppers, yellow peppers, garlic, Cajun seasoning and black pepper. I reserved the shrimp skins for stock and let it simmer for 45 minutes before putting the shrimp and sausage w/ vegetables on the skillet. I added tablespoon Cajuns seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. I used 3/4 cup shrimp stock at the end while I finished cooking the sausage. Then I added the shrimp back in with some cooking wine. Viola!! She's gonna love it!
Cramped as I was for time yesterday, cooking for the 2 of us as well as for a neighbor couple, I decided to make to main entrees & take half of each over to the neighbors, giving me & mine a chance to taste both ~ Worked out just fine, too! Did a little juggling on this one, as I left out the canned mushrooms, used 2 mild sausages & 2 sweet ones, & cut the red pepper flakes down to just 1/8 teaspoon! As for us, we loved it that way, & apparently the neighbors did, too! Will certainly be making this one again! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This is delicious!, I made it with all the ingredients stated but with some amount adjustments, not sure what the chicken livers added to the recipe it must have done something great, I used bulk spicy pork sausage meat in place of the sausage links, and increased the chili flakes to well over a tablespoons, I sent home the rest with my DS in a doggie bag so he can enjoy the leftovers although I must say there wasn't that much leftover, thank you for a wonderful recipe and one I will make again Pat!