Dirty Rice - Vegetarian Style
This version of dirty rice can be made with your favorite meatless ground burger or veggie ground burger. Cooking time does not include the brown rice which should be made according to box instructions.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, minced
- 3 cups mushrooms, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups veggie burgers (or other meatless burgers)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons file powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- In a dry skillet, brown the flour, stirring constantly, until light brown in color (patience pays off in flavor later).
- In a separate skillet, saute the onion, celery and bell pepper, in 3 tablespoons of oil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add to the flour and mix well.
- Brown the mushrooms in 3 teaspoons of oil. Add the veggie burger crumbles and brown well with the mushrooms for 10 minutes. Add to the onion and flour mixture and saute for another 10 minutes. Add the water and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. The mixture should be fairly thick. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well.
- Serve with hot Tabasco hot sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I appreciated a posting for vegetarian dirty rice. The recipe itself was not difficult to make, though it did require a bit of clean up in terms of dirty pans. DH and I thought it was good, just a little on the bland side for our tastes. I think this could be remedied by either adding some additional cajun spices or adjusting the proportions of the ones posted to suit your personal preferences. I actually served this as a side dish to black bean enchiladas, but it could easily be a main dish. Made for ZWT9.Reply