Diabetic Holiday Eggnog
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- Mix 2 cups milk, cornstarch, and Equal in a small saucepan; heat to boiling.
- Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Mix about half of the milk mixture into eggs; return egg mixture to remaining milk in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
- Cool to room temperature; refrigerate until chilled.
- Stir 2 cups chilled milk into custard mixture; serve in small glasses.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cook time does not include chill time.
- Makes 8 4oz.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this to use with Recipe #198912 and as a trial run for use in upcoming Christmas recipes. As a diabetic I'm well used to skim milk and sugar substitutes and I had no expectations of the richness that you get from cream or whole milk. Still, I didn't think that this had a real eggnog taste (I even used whole egg instead of my usual egg whites). However,the addition of 3/4 tsp of rum extract helped very much!lol. Even with the cornstarch it was very thin and there was a lot of froth on top with did eventually subside. Oh, I should say that I used 6 tsps of Splenda in place of the ask for Equal. All in all, with the addition of the rum flavor, this is a pretty good sub for the fat and calorie laden "real" eggnog. Thanks for posting this.