Dhal Balls With Yogurt
photo by mersaydees
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2⁄3 cup whole green lentil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons fresh coconut, shredded
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 green chilies, seeded, chopped (I often use canned chopped chiles)
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot, grated (1 1-inch piece)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- cilantro leaf, chopped (garnish)
- Place lentils in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- Pick over lentils removing any grit. Place in a bowl, cover with cold water and soak 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt with 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and the chile powder. Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain lentils, cover with fresh water and simmer 30 minutes, or until tender. Add to vegetable mill or food processor and puree or mash well. Transfer to a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the coconut, the bread crumbs, remaining cilantro, chiles, gingerroot, egg, salt and pepper; mix well. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Dampen hands, then carefully roll mixture into 1-inch balls, then roll balls in flour to coat completely.
- Half-fill a deep pan or deep-fryer with oil and heat to 375°F (190C), or until a 1-inch cube of bread browns in 50 seconds.
- Fry about 6 balls at a time 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with yogurt sauce, sprinkled with remaining coconut and garnished with cilantro leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!