Deviled Green Beans
My family really enjoys this recipe. It came from the newspaper!
- Ready In:
- 4 cups green beans, pieces in 1 inch lengths
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onions or 1/2 cup shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Boil green beans in 2 cups of water for approximately 6 minutes or until beans are just tender.
- Drain beans, reserving 3 Tbsp cooking liquid.
- (This may be done ahead.) Refrigerate until ready to finish.
- About 15 minutes before serving, warm the bacon grease or olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook just until softened.
- Whisk together the reserved cooking liquid, mustard, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Add to the onions and stir.
- Add the beans and stir to coat.
- Cover and simmer on low for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a nice side dish for our dinner. We could taste the mustard and brown sugar without them being overpowering. I used fresh beans and only cooked them initially for a few minutes and rinsed them under cold water. After cooking them later, they still had some crisp to them (since we don't like mushy vegetables). We will have this easy, tasty recipe again.Reply
MrsEl, I'm sorry, but I could only give this recipe only 1 star. I added the bacon grease from 4 cooked slices of bacon. The fresh cut green beans needed to be cooked approximately 10 minutes. When adding the green beans to the skillet, I also added the 4 strips of bacon, (crumbled) it gave the green beans more flavor. Without the crumbled bacon, I give this recipe 1 star, but with the bacon, I'd give this recipe 2 stars.Reply
see 1 more