Deviled Eggs Moroccan-Style
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
4-5 hardboiled eggs
- 4 -5 hardboiled large eggs, peeled
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise (or combination of both) or 2 -3 tablespoons plain yogurt (or combination of both)
- 1 teaspoon harissa, to taste (homemade is best!)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika (I used a combination of 1/8 t. smoked paprika and 1/8 t. chipotle powder)
- salt, to taste (omit or use less salt if using the preserved lemon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon preserved lemon (if you don't have preserved lemon add 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon roasted almonds, finely chopped (pine nuts will work, too.)
- fresh cilantro, parsley, chives (your choice) or mint (your choice)
- caraway seed (optional)
- Slice the eggs in half lengthwise and spoon yolks into a mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, harissa, olive oil, paprika, and salt. Mash with a fork until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into egg-white cavity/halves.
- Sprinkle with almonds and garnish with fresh herb(s) of choice. I added a *very light sprinkle* of caraway seeds to the top of each egg for garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great departure from the traditional deviled egg recipe (which I also love). Nice presence of heat, with a hint of smoke from the smoked paprika. I used preserved lemon and just a tiny bit of salt. I used store bought Harissa. For the garnish, I used cilantro, pine nuts and the optional caraway. Very good! Made for ZWT9
Loved, loved these eggs. Wow, what flavor. I used homemade harissa, so happy that I did. They were awesome. I loved that you could taste so many different flavors and textures. Made exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. I couldn't find preserved lemons so I used fresh lemon juice as recommended. I garnished these masterpieces with cilantro, toasted pine nuts and caraway seeds. Thank you for sharing this recipe that I have placed in my Favorites for 2015. Kudos to you. Made FYC 2015
see 5 more reviews