- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices (use Country Pleasin' if you are lucky enough to have it in your store)
- 1 green bell pepper, large and cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, large and cut into strips
- 1 onion, large and sliced into wedges
- 2 (12 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup cornmeal, self rising mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 jalapeno pepper, large and chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage and brown; add bell peppers, onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender.
- Add peas and tomatoes; reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Pour into greased 3 quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal mix, cayenne pepper, milk, and egg, and stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture over casserole.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!